/** * Overriding $TCA * * The TYPO3 Configuration Array (TCA) is defined by the distributed tables.php and ext_tables.php files. * If you want to extend and/or modify its content, you can do so with scripts like this. * Or BETTER yet - with extensions like those found in the typo3conf/ext/ or typo3/ext/ folder. * Extensions are movable to other TYPO3 installations and provides a much better division between things! Use them! * * Information on how to set up tables is found in the document "Inside TYPO3" available as a PDF from where you downloaded TYPO3. * * Usage: * Just put this file to the location typo3conf/extTables.php and add this line to your typo3conf/localconf.php: * $typo_db_extTableDef_script = 'extTables.php'; */ // Rotate loginbox images from this directory # $GLOBALS['TBE_STYLES']['loginBoxImage_rotationFolder'] = '../fileadmin/loginimg/'; // Raise upload limit for images in 'image' content-elements to 10*1024 bytes = 1MB # $GLOBALS['TCA']['tt_content']['columns']['image']['config']['max_size'] = 10*1024; // Changes date fields to datetime fields in pages and tt_content # $GLOBALS['TCA']['tt_content']['columns']['starttime']['config']['eval'] = 'datetime'; # $GLOBALS['TCA']['tt_content']['columns']['endtime']['config']['eval'] = 'datetime'; # $GLOBALS['TCA']['pages']['columns']['starttime']['config']['eval'] = 'datetime'; # $GLOBALS['TCA']['pages']['columns']['endtime']['config']['eval'] = 'datetime'; ?>
It was in Machynlleth that the Welsh rebel leader Owain Glyndwr set up his Welsh Parliament in 1404. It therefore has some entitlement to the claim to be the 'ancient capital of Wales'. It is the site of the first bridge upstream across the River Dyfi.
There is evidence of human settlement in the Machynlleth area dating back to the Early Bronze Age(2750 years ago) with evidence of copper mining activity within a mile of the town centre. It may be that the legend of ‘Cantre’r Gwaelod’, the magnificient city of fertile plains now lost beneath the waves near Aberdyfi speaks of this period or of settler’s further back in the mists of time – possibly as far back as the end of ice age when significant sea-level risers re-shaped the coast of Britain.
Later, the Romans built a small fort at Pennal, some four miles west of Machynlleth, and archaeological evidence suggests there was modest Roman settlement in the area around this fort.
One of the earliest written references to Machynlleth is the Royal Charter of 1291, granted by Edward I to Owen de la Pole, the Lord of Powys. This Charter allowed Machynlleth to hold a market every Wednesday and two fairs a year, a tradition that continues to this day. It is clear that the market and fairs helped Machynlleth to thrive throughout the medieval period and right through to the Victorian era with evidence to suggest that animals came for sale across the length and breadth of Wales and as far afield as Hereford and Shropshire.
The historic town boasts a number of interesting buildings in addition to Owain Glyndwr's Parliament building. Royal House which stands on the main through road is a great example of a medieval house. It is believed that a rouge by the name of 'Dafydd Gam' was imprisoned at Royal House between 1404 and 1412 for attempting to assassinate Owain Glyndwr. Following his release, historic records show that Dafydd went on to fight alongside Henry V at the Battle of Agincourt, and indeed he is named amongst the dead in Shakespeare's Henry V.
Another tradition associated with Royal House is that Charles I stayed there in 1643 – hence the name 'Royal House'.
On 29th November 1644, near Dyfi Bridge, a battle took place between Oliver Cromwell’s army under the command of Sir Thomas Myddleton of Chirk Castle and the Royalists. Many were killed and a number of houses in Machynlleth that were occupied by Royalists were burned down.
In the nineteenth century, the daughter of a prominent local landowner married Viscount Seaham, the second son of the third Marquess of Londonderry and they made their home in Plas Machynlleth. On the death of his father, Viscount Seaham became Earl Vane. The grand clock tower which stands in the centre of Machynlleth on the site of the old Town hall was erected by the townspeople to celebrate the coming of age of Charles Stewart Vane-Tempest, Viscount Castlereagh, the eldest son of Earl Vane and his wife.
The foundation stone was laid on 15 July 1874.
Another of their sons, Lord Heerbert Vane-Tempest, was the last member of the family to live at the Plas that can still be seen on the southern approach into Machynlleth. He was killed in a train collision on the Cambrian Railways at Abermule, and after his death, Plas Machynlleth was first used as a military facility during the Second World War and then given to the townspeople.